OLIVIA PETTERThe MTV Video Music Awards are nothing if not a masterclass in artistic prowess. Rewarding some of the industry’s most esteemed talents, with Camila Cabello and Cardi B taking home some of the most prestigious awards, the ceremony provides an opportunity for stars to exhibit their sartorial skills on the red carpet, which this year was a notable shade of fuchsia. While Blake Lively and Morgan Saint subverted womenswear conventions with androgynous trouser suits, Jennifer Lopez and Cardi B proved that Hollywood grandeur is far from its expiry date in decadent gowns. Meanwhile, Algee Smith and Marshmello reigned supreme in the menswear department for their eye-catching style quirks. See which stars earned their style credentials at this year’s VMAs and bask in the splendour of the music industry’s eclectic fashion choices.
1. Jennifer LopezA knight in shining sartorial armour, J. Lo arrived in an off-the-shoulder chainmail gown by Versace: a far cry from her humble ‘Jenny from the block’ days.
2. TygaDouble denim is the nineties nod that never dies, as Tyga proved on Monday evening in a co-coordinating denim-inspired look by Maison Margiela.
3. Cardi BThe ‘Bodak Yellow’ singer brought a splash of Marilyn Monroe-era glamour to the VMAs in this velvet magenta gown designed by Alexander Acosta.
4. Camila CabelloOne of the major players at this year’s ceremony, Cabello took home four Moonman trophies, the ‘Havana’ singer channeled a fairytale-chic aesthetic in a voluminous navy and white gown by Oscar de la Renta.
5. Shawn MendesSwitching up the signature monochromatic suit and tie look that dominates the limited catalogue of male occasionwear, the ‘Stitches’ singer cut a slick silhouette in a navy and olive suit by Paul Smith.
6. Kylie JennerMaking a case for the tailored mini dress, the reality star-turned-entrepreneur arrived wearing a white trench dress by Tom Ford, which came complete with a diamante belt buckle for a splash of sparkle, naturally.
7. Karlie KlossFew designers do princess dressing better than Lebanese designer Elie Saab, whose exquisite designs epitomise romance and femininity. As a red carpet veteran, it’s no surprise Kloss opted for one of Saab’s signature styles for Monday’s proceedings.
8. Grace VanderWaalThe ‘Moonlight’ singer offset the grunge of her black leather beret with a shimmering jumpsuit straight out of Studio 54.
9. Olivia MunnThe ‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ actor injected a splash of colour among the sea of monochrome in this strapless purple gown by David Koma.
10. Shanina ShaikIf anyone could pull off a sheer lace jumpsuit without looking like they belong in a ABBA tribute band, it’s Shanina Shaik. The Australian model radiated in a Naeem Khan jumpsuit, looking nothing short of statuesque.
11. Pete Davidson and Ariana GrandeNo display of affection is quite as palpable as two millennials in the throes of young love, as Davison and Grande clearly demonstrated on Monday’s pink carpet. The ‘God is a Woman’ singer opted for a steely silver mini dress while her fiancé kept things simple in a white sweatshirt with black trousers.
12. Quavo and OffsetTwo out of Migos’ three members arrived at the VMAs with enough accessories to startle even the burliest of airport security staff – imagine going through the scanner with those rings.
13. Blake LivelyThe Hollywood actor forwent red carpet conventions in a head-to-toe white ensemble by Australian design duo Ralph & Russo.
14. Nicki MinajNever one to miss an opportunity for sartorial eccentricity, the ‘Anaconda’ singer opted for a belted bodysuit by Off-white complete with a sheer cape.
15. Morgan SaintAndrogyny takes a sophisticated turn with Saint’s seductive all-white look, finished with a peppering of melodrama thanks to those heavily-shadowed eyes.
16. Algee SmithIf in doubt, Moschino it out. The ‘Detroit’ actor’s scarlet ensemble is fit for the circus, in a good way.
17. Tiffany HaddishSporting a monochrome gown by Naeem Khan, the American comedian brought an elevated sense of grandeur to her red carpet look with Chopard jewels.
18. MarshmelloProving that style might just be a state of mind, the US music producer arrived wearing his signature mask, which really speaks for itself sartorially, hence the simple black and white attire he wore to match.
19. Anna KendrickThe ‘Pitch Perfect’ singer looked straight out of the 1920s in this sparkling mini dress which came complete with a flapper-girl trim.
20. Rita OraJean Paul Gaultier dressed the British singer-turned-presenter in an eye-catching structured black gown. What it lacked in fabric, it made up for in baroque design.
21. Millie Bobby BrownThe ‘Stranger Things’ opted for a simple but stylish black jumpsuit by Rosie Assoulin, which would’ve been a somewhat stale choice had it not been for those flamboyant and pleasingly-girlish sleeves.
22. SZAThe ‘All The Stars’ singer fluttered on the fuchsia carpet in a dusty pink feathered gown by Rodarte.
23. Jasmine SandersRobotics need not be reserved for the AI-obsessed Elon Musks of the world, as Sanders proved on Monday evening in this metallic mini dress, which aptly demonstrates the sartorial synergy of 80s tailoring with bionic artistry.
24. Sofia CarsonProving that stripes are no longer a slave to breton tops and poolside towels, the former Disney Channel star stunned in this red and grey tulle gown by Carolina Herrera.
25. Winnie HarlowProviding a glimmer of laced nostalgia, the Canadian model turned heads in a sheer black cut-out ensemble. Source: Independent
AMIGA “Pretty Thing Inside”
Lippo Mall Kuta GF 10A | TS Store | Alila Seminyak | Alila Villas Uluwatu | Alila Manggis | Alila Ubud | Amankila | Segara Village Sanur | Rimba Hotel Jimbaran | District 27 Surabaya | Alila Jabal Akhdar
Workshop: Jln. Sriwijaya Gang Kayu Manis III No. 6, Legian, Bali 80361
WhatsApp Number +628113801002